Thursday, July 15, 2010

Discovering My Inner Child

This morning, bright and early, 6:21 AM our rooster crowed for the very first time.  I leaped from my bed and stood at my open window, unbelieving of what I heard.  I could hear all the other roosters in the area that I'm used to hearing...and then I heard it again!!!  Kenny (the rooster formerly known as Stew) chimed in with the rest of guys!
So even though I was up past midnight (watching shooting stars above the Twin Firs), I pulled on a quilted flannel jacket, headed out to the kitchen (where Grandad was attempting to steam abalone), pulled on my black rubber boots, and headed out to the chicken pen.  Without coffee!  M couldn't believe my enthusiasm.

I think I've discovered my inner child...A Farm Girl!

As soon as the kids were up and fed, we packed up and headed out to the feed store where I bought myself a new straw hat (and some chicken food).

And the abalone?  It was so tough we are going to puree it in the Vitamix and make A-bologne!  RDRR!