Friday, July 9, 2010

Pacific Ocean Part 2

After we left Ocean Shores, we headed up the coast to Copalis Beach.  We found a place that required a hike to the ocean that had only one other car in the parking lot, so we assumed we would have more privacy here.  M started to scout the trail, but turned back thinking, "We didn't drive all the way here to just roll out of the van and flop on the beach."
Although he didn't make it this far on his scouting mission, I still made it down the bank without dropping the baby.  We'd figure out how to get back up when we needed to.
This was as sunny as it got.  But it was still beautiful!  We still couldn't see the ocean but we could hear it, so we knew which direction to take.
IJ giving F a piggyback ride
F insisted on walking most of the way herself, with a few piggyback rides mixed in, especially when we had to cross little streams.  She liked to take off running too, so we would have to wait for her to come back.
IJ hiding in the dune grass
At this point IJ said, "We're only a zillion miles away from the ocean!  I can hear it!"  And the closer we got to the ocean, the mistier it got.
Ghostly and creepy mist.  Very spooky.  M and the kids loved it.  I searched for landmarks so we could find our way back.  Can you imagine the story of a family that got lost in the mist and disappeared, never to be seen again?  The ghost of the mother haunts the beach to this day, calling for her lost children?  That would make a great ghost story!
I'm glad F had a buddy.
This is how I knew which way to go once I couldn't see them anymore.  The wind was blowing from the ocean, so I could hear their voices when I couldn't see them.
IJ at the water's edge, but you still can't see very far!
M and the kids immediately went to play, while I stayed dry with Baby D.  F still doesn't like the water too much.
So she throws sand at the waves to keep them away.
At this point, when M and the three older kids are way out in the mist, I freak out.  My Scandinavian and Scots-Irish ancestors start whispering to me, Don't let your kids go into the mist.  The ocean is unruly and unpredictable.  If you lose sight of your children, you will never see them again.  The ancestors didn't need to tell me twice.  While M and the kids were jumping in the waves, the kids got further and further apart.  M couldn't possibly rescue all three of them if something happened.  Sure, M was only up to his knees, but E is a daredevil and likes to keep up with the boys.  E was easily up to her waist and the waves were even higher!  I stopped taking pictures at this point. I tried to call to M, but he couldn't hear me.  They were all having such a great time jumping in the waves and they couldn't even see me through the mist.  I nearly had a nervous breakdown and scared Baby D calling out to sea.  Finally, M sees me waving them to come in.
And all my children are safe.  Whew!  E did take a spill in the waves and told me she was scared.  I'm so glad they came in when they did.  They were soaked to the bone and getting chilly
Proof that other people have been on the beach today
Luckily the sand was super warm (maybe that should have told me we could all get sunburned) so we enjoyed the smooth warm dryness of the sand for awhile.

To be continued...