Monday, November 22, 2010

My Pathetic Snow

You know it is time to build a fire when The Pathetic Doberman curls up in front of the heat vent to keep warm.
The Safeway Deli: Off the Grid

"Do we really have to come out?"
The chickens were not as thrilled as usual to be let out this morning.
Finally camouflaged: Dirty Snow
This hen is named Egg Eater.  She came to our "Chick-Shadel" rehabilitation center with the name Sweet Pea and an egg-eating problem.  Since she has moved in, she has stopped eating the eggs and has become a good layer.  We joked that she would be the one that was taken down by a coyote first because she stands out in the pasture with all those white feathers.  But she's pretty mean; I would feel sorry for any animal that would try to eat her!  She'll jump on me if she thinks I have food.
"We didn't live to be two years old by running out in the cold when there is a perfectly good heat lamp indoors!"
Chief and Mate also came to Chick-Shadel with a problem: fighting.  They are now so sweet and docile that they will eat out of my hand.  I'll be very sad when I have to eat them.  Maybe.

This morning when my hands got cold doing chores, I pulled two nice, warm, freshly-laid eggs out of the nests
and tucked them in my pockets to keep my hands warm on the way back to the house.  Then I cooked them up and ate them!  Yum!

Now, on to my other chickens:
F has no memory of snow, so this is all new to her.  She knew that it was snow, but she didn't know that it was so cold.  She would not walk on it.
A Cute Couple... of Hats!
These two are wearing hats crocheted by one of our friends and fellow Scout leaders.  She made D's hat for him when he was born, along with matching booties and a stuffed sock monkey!  They are so cute!  And because F kept stealing D's hat and monkey, our friend made F her very own sock monkey hat.

Here's a link to other snow suit pictures.  I love getting a good deal on things I buy.  I choked paying $25 for this snow suit when IJ was a baby, even though it had been marked down from $100 at REI (who would pay $100 for a baby's snow suit?).  But now I've gotten nine years of use out of it, so that's not too bad. 
2003: IJ wore the suit for two years
 S in 2004
 E on her first birthday in 2006

And you can see F in the link above.  And in this picture:

We've been dealing with a lot of this lately.  Crying, whining, temper tantrums, that sort of thing.  She is my most...passionate? dramatic? two year old yet.  I'm glad she wasn't the first two year old!  And D has a stuffy nose and was up a LOT last night, so I'm pretty tired today without a lot of patience.  So maybe I'll take a snow day off from school after all.