Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Best Birthday Yet!"

Either IJ has really low expectations for his birthday, or he is just a swell kid.  This morning I had to wake everyone early, feed them the quickest, most filling breakfast, and take them and Grandad in to the hospital for scans/chemotherapy.  I couldn't tell the kids what we were going to do for fun today because I had no idea if I was going to have to wait at the cancer center all day or what.

But we got lucky!  We got to run quickly through the grocery store for picnic food, call a friend, and go the beach on a super low tide! As we pulled into the parking lot, we could see that other people had the same idea.  And the beach was open for clam digging!  We saw all the cars and S said, "Great. It's just like Hawaii here.  Crowded."
Yep.  It was packed.
Normally, the area in the picture above is all water.
Then I found out that Grandad was already finished with his chemotherapy and was waiting for me!  Our friend graciously offered to take the boys back to her place for more fun.
And video games
See the vacant expressions?  Haha! We girls sat out on the porch and enjoyed the sunshine, flowers, and chickens.

Then we did some of our own "jumping for joy" on the trampoline.  It was a fine day for jumping, wasn't it C?
And as IJ was sitting outside at home, using his pocket knife to whittle a stick, he said, "I feel so much older than I did yesterday."