Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The End is Near...

You know the end of the school year is approaching when...
...the pencils are short, stubby, and missing erasers...
...there are more pages on the left side of the math book...
...drawing supplies are getting sparse...
...holes appear on the school book shelf...
...test prep begins for the annual standardized tests...
...and the catalogs come out for next year!
I still have funds available to spend this year and all purchase orders have to be in by May 1st, so I've been busy cookin' up schemes for the rest of the year.  We are quickly coming to the end of our workbooks and curriculum, which is a great feeling!  The bad part is still needing to show that the kids are working 10 hours (E) to 20-25 hours (boys) per week until the end of June, and playing outside doesn't count.  I think we will spend the next two weeks prepping for the MSP test, which takes place the first week of May.  Then we will start a life cycle unit in science while we wrap up American history-there isn't much left that is appropriate for my young kids.  You should have seen the blank stare on S's face when I read about the Cold War.  In June we will do American Folk Lore (including local ghost stories!), Washington State History, and focus on native plants and animals for science.  This will include a membership to the zoo and the native wildlife park, courtesy of the school district.

My plan for next year is due June 1st if I want to be able to order early...and I do!  Nesting isn't just cleaning you know!  I know exactly what I'm doing as far as curriculum goes and I cannot wait to start creating shopping carts online!  In fact, I may start today.  No, no...I must wait until I spend this year's funds...