Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ian the Scout Goes to Camp

Today we said "Goodbye!" to Ian as he went to scout camp for a week.  I know most of the moms and boys in his troop are feeling nervous, but I think its worse for me. 
Most moms send their boys off to school every day and also send them off to spend the night at their friend's house all weekend.  Ian is home with us all day and only gone on sleep overs a few times (and not because he can't handle it, we just have a family rule against sleeping over for just fun).  He will be gone for five nights and I know once he is used to camp, he will love it.
The weight of his pack is crushing him!
Everything he needs for an entire week is in that pack, including his mess kit, bathing suit and towel, a tarp, his ten essentials, and six sets of clothing.  I don't think he owns six sets of clothing, but I do know that he came as close as possible to that requirement.  Mark showed him how to pack by category, instead of by day, to maximize efficiency.  Everything was put into gallon Ziploc bags (add them to my Costco list) and the air was squished out-we could just call it the poor man's Space Bags.
Mark ties some last-minute knots
Ian's Class A uniform is on its required hanger, but wrapped in plastic and nestled safely between his sleeping bag and pillow.  The first thing they do when they get to camp is take the swim test.  I am confident that Ian will pass with flying colors.  He has been working with Mark (and Shane and Evie) at perfecting their strokes so they can join the swim team in the fall.
"Just hang the scouts from trees!"
We already miss him.  I had to get right into a new sewing project to help keep my mind off the ache in my heart.  Shane said, "Well, since Ian isn't here, I might as well play with Evie!" and played a few rounds of chess and Mancala.  Now that Evie is playing house with Fiona and Daniel, he is bored and moping around the house. Yeah, me too.