Monday, July 8, 2013

The Beetings Will Continue Until Your Appetite Improves

Our beets are doing wonderfully.  We've harvested almost half and have experimented with many wonderful beet dishes.  Forgive the garish pictuers; beets and camera flashes are not a good combination.
Summer Borscht
Pickled Beets
Hard-boiled Eggs in Pickled Beet Juice
Roasted Beets with Steamed Greens
Beet and Blueberry Pancakes
You can't beet a cute baby picture!
The kids weren't too fond of the borscht, but once Mark said, "Whoever finishes first gets to play video games!" the kids started eating as fast as they could.  I haven't opened my pickled beets, but I can tell they are going to be good based on how tasty the pickled eggs were!  The pancakes were made on the 4th of July; we called them Red, White, and Blueberry pancakes and topped them with whipped cream.  But the best thing we've made is...Beet Brownies!  The kids were amazed that the brownies had beets in them.  Of course I know how much butter and sugar went into the recipe; you could disguise ground beef if you wanted to! 

Daniel was a little confused when I handed him the brownie.  He looked at it hesitantly and asked, "This is Brownie?" I reassured him that I was not feeding him spiders, just beets in a cookie.  It reminded me of the time I offered him stickers for using the potty after he had a battle with the blackberry bush.

The second half of our harvest will be cooked into beef stew, pureed and frozen, and I will probably make another batch of pickles.  The greens will be cooked and frozen for stews, soups, and sides or put into smoothies.  We love beets.