Thursday, December 19, 2013

Counting Down {Yule Kaga}

Uh oh, FIVE days left...
Glom by Ian
Ian came to my rescue yesterday when he offered to manage the ornament painting activity-including clean up.  Heidi was pretty fussy for some reason and yesterday quickly became "one of those days" where I couldn't put her down.  Sometimes I can't wait to send Ian to middle school, but others, like yesterday, I want to keep him all to myself and not share him with the world.  The other night, the two boys and I had a Tetris marathon.  Ian changed the music to some funky piece called Halucin.  Any adult can see another word that the song's title probably really meant.  But my innocent children didn't understand why I laughed so hard that I cried when Ian said in a super funny voice, "When I listen to this music, I can see the past and the future at the same time."  That boy just kills me.
Lula: eater of ornaments and banned from the school room
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Jule Kage!  I got a head start on bread-making so I wouldn't feel so stressed out closer to Christmas.  I planned on eating (at least) one loaf and freezing the rest.  Um, FAIL!  I think my yeast is dead since the first batch would be better employed as a siege weapon and the second batch looks like the Israelites would have carried it around in the desert.
It still tastes good for all its rock qualities
Heidi still keeps odd hours and I am convinced she isn't developing a good circadian rhythm because this is the dark time of year.  I have completely adjusted to my odd hours and find myself cruising facebook at 3:00 AM while feeding the baby or falling into a deep sleep at 7:30 PM while the kids watch a movie.  Last night, I actually slept the whole night in my bed instead of falling asleep in my chair.  The three youngest and I keep falling asleep in front of the TV in the evenings and Mark likes to sneak pictures of me sleeping, buried in children, with my mouth hanging open.  He has three pictures in his collection so far.
Bed time for the three youngest: sleep where you fall (Heidi is that lump of pink in back)
We have been watching season one of The Universe for our science this week.  There is something so soothing about the narrator's voice...both Lula and I fell asleep every time we started a new episode.  We watched three episodes yesterday, so we took three naps.  The older kids have such great imaginations: they took my spaghetti and meatball dinner and called it asteroids and gamma ray bursts in honor of the End of Earth episode.  Shane even took a meatball and wrapped spaghetti noodles in a way to show a magnetic field around a planet.  Some may call it "playing with your food, but I call it "hands on learning" and "assessment of learning."

Next up: Christmas parties for the homeschoolers this afternoon and Cub Scouts tonight!