Monday, February 3, 2014

A 12th Man is Born

Yesterday, we Downens invaded my parent's house to watch the Superbowl.  It's not very often I wish we had network television, but when your home team goes to the Superbowl, you really want to see it happen, win or lose.  Our complications include having lots of little kids, one of which is in Seek-and-Destroy mode and one loud cryer, so we aren't the best guest to invite to your Superbowl Party.  Lucky for my parents, they weren't home to witness our invasion.
Guess what? After I took that picture of Heidi above, she fell asleep and slept through the whole game.  No crying.
The girls were so excited to watch the game, they made posters cheering the Seahawks on.   They also made a special point to dress in blue and green.  Well, Evie did.  Fiona wouldn't wear her blue and green dress because it wasn't purple.
Busy, busy girl!
The very first thing I did when I got to my parent's house was Lula proof.  Glass things out of reach.  Couch moved across the doorway into the nice living room with white carpet.  Baby gates across the other opening.  Plants up.  Doors closed.  Broom available (we swept the floor three times. Now I know why we have carpet...and dogs).
The other awesome thing I did was bring a folder of football themed activities for the younger set of kids.  I knew they wouldn't sit quietly through the whole game and would quickly burn through the toys.  When they started running around and shouting and fighting over the yoga ball (which my kids call a birth ball-because their mom does more birthing than yoga), I was ready with Design Your Own Helmet coloring pages and and some other math and writing themed pages from a homeschool blog.  I originally imagined myself sitting with the kids and doing the puzzles and talking about geography, but Mark explained How Football Works to me on the way over and...well, lets just say I'm hooked.
Mark held Heidi through three quarters of The Game
I just want to watch football now.  Now that the season is over and I still don't have network television.  I'm not the only newborn fan.  Shane caught the 12th Man bug too.  His favorite player is Russell Wilson.  Good choice!

P.S. Daniel still gets carsick.