Thursday, February 27, 2014

Array

Today I found a new game on a math blog called Got Room? and renamed it Array.

The game is easy.  Roll two dice.  Find the product.  Draw an array on graph paper with that area.  For example, if I roll a 2 and a 6, my product is 12.  I can draw an array that is 3 by 4 or 1 by 12 or 2 by 6.  When you can't fit any more arrays on your graph paper, the game is over. 

The roll that ended the game: 9 and 11!
Daniel played along with us.  He drew his own arrays with his own made up numbers.  We were both winners with ten points for our team!  Shane and I played with 12 and 9 sided dice.

Array Jr.
To make the game easier for younger players, I used 1 inch grid paper, 6-sided dice, and didn't calculate the product of the roll-unless it was already known.  This is way more fun than Saxon math!