Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Daily Daniel

I've just now decided that I'm going to have to post a "Daily Daniel."  I usually just do a quick post on Facebook, but it will all be lost someday and hopefully this blog won't.  It is one of my dreams to have the blog printed in book format... But anyway, Daniel is very funny and quite smart, so instead of always complaining about how defiant he is, I'll try to include those times where he makes me laugh until my side hurts or makes me shake my head in amazement.

One day last week, he insisted he needed a vitamin.  The container was brand new and I was busy, so I said, "Sure! If you can get it open, you can have one." Because guess what? The container had a childproof lid on it!  Ian laughed and pointed out that this was Daniel we were talking about; he could probably get the lid off.  This was a good time to reminisce about the time in the car when Daniel shouted, "My name is Daniel O'Niall Downen! Call me Daniel!" but what we heard, thanks to his baby talk was, "My name is Daniel! Kneel down and call me Daniel!"  By the time I was done telling the story, Daniel had the lid off the vitamins, much to everyone's amusement.

Thursday, the first thing out of Daniel's mouth was, "Can I play video games? Can I get on the computer with Evie and make a two-player game?" I told him he would have to be a good listener and say "Yes, Mom," all day and THEN he could play tonight during scouts. He then climbed into my lap and started saying, "Yes, Mom. Yes, Mom. Yes, Mom. Yes, Mom." over and over and over in my ear. Then he said, "Now your ears are full of Yes Mom for the day. Can I play now?" 

Yesterday, he was caught filling a water gun with lawn fertilizer and was upset that he was prevented from "killin' spiders on the ceiling." I explained that lawn fertilizer wasn't safe to play with, but he already knew that. That's why he was going to kill the spider on the ceiling with it.  Mark is going to have to make sure the carport is poison free from now on...

Also last week, Daniel was very angry at Shane.  I had to say, "Daniel, let's think of some other words that you can use in the place of butt. Like hindquarters...say, 'I'm going to kick your hindquarters,' instead."  Daniel, glaring at Shane, said, "I'm going to kick your hind...coins!?!"  

I know a handful of people that also have three year old boys and are tearing their hair out about them.  I think there needs to be a special club, just for moms of three year old boys.  They can drop their boys off wearing special vests made out of velcro in a sound proof room that has velcro walls.  The boys can stick to the walls while the moms drink coffee just outside. Yep.