Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Blender Love

Child #5 with our first Golden Delicious Apple harvest at Twin Firs.

I was in love with my freezer...until I got a dehydrator. I was in love with my dehydrator...until I got my Vita-Mix 5200. I used it three times today. This morning, before any kid was allowed cereal, they had to drink their smoothie. It was made of two brown bananas, a frozen mango, a handful of coleslaw mix, an eighth of a green pepper, and of course, zucchini. And soy milk, so I could drink it too. It was a funny color, but I kept the lights low and used bright plastic cups so they couldn't tell. I think I went a bit heavy on the green pepper, but it was still tasty! Anytime I hand out a green tinged smoothie, Child #4 asks, "Does this have wheat grass in it?"

I promised the kids if they did all their scheduled school work, their chores, did well in Taekwondo, and didn't complain about what I served for dinner, I would make them ice cream. I'm such a tricky mom. Chocolate ice cream was just the chocolate milk left over from Grandad spoiling his grandkids over the weekend, frozen in ice cube trays and pureed. Strawberry Mango ice cream was just that. Frozen strawberries and mango with some sugar, vanilla, and soy milk. Child #3 and I ate so much we both got frozen tummy aches. I will never buy commercial ice cream as long as I have frozen fruit to make my own. Maybe I'll toss in some cabbage next time...

School today was incredibly boring. When the boys were complaining about our math lesson, which was indeed boring, I said, "You can still go to public school tomorrow! It's not too late! I can put you on the school bus tomorrow morning and you can find out what boring really is!" We were done by 10:30 this morning. Two kids, two language arts, two social studies, science, and math. I even had "quiet time" after lunch with the kids separated in different rooms while I napped with the baby. Unbelievable. We will see how long I can keep that up...maybe as long as I can keep sneaking cabbage into their smoothies!