Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Weekend Highlights


We headed out to Twin Firs to celebrate our three end-of-summer birthdays this weekend. AC#1 is 20 years old, Child #2 is 18 years old, and Child #4 is 5 years old. I'm not sure if I'm ready to call Child #2 an Adult Child yet. Maybe when she gets a job, a driver's license, and a high school diploma. Anyway, here are a few of our favorite weekend highlights...

While visiting my parents, Child #3 got stung by a yellow jacket. He exclaimed (while looking down at his leg), "Look! A bee is stinging me! And I'm not even crying!" Meanwhile, the yellow jacket is pumping its venom into my child's leg and he isn't even trying to get the insect off. DH ended up slapping the wasp for him. I guess a bee sting is nothing compared to stepping on a rake!

The next day, DH and I took a trip into town to purchase some materials for re-roofing the shed. We drove through a rain storm that stopped traffic. Visibility was nil. We literally had to stop the van because we couldn't see where we were going and the windshield wipers couldn't keep up. After we passed the squall and headed up the hill, we passed a rich-looking man in a super fancy convertible with the top down. He was looking up at the clouds with a worried look on his face. He had no idea what he was going to experience. And we had a good laugh at his expense. What kind of a moron drives a convertible in this climate?

When we got home, Child #5 immediately climbed onto the tire swing and squeaked, "Sing me mama! Really high!" As I passed her on the way to the house, I pulled the tire swing as far as I could reach and let go. She squealed with happiness and I turned to watch her return swing.... except we left the van in the path of the swing. And I watched her crash straight into the passenger side door of the van. Luckily, there was no damage.

Well, I will have to finish this later. The baby is awake and I need to start readying my school room and preparing my kids for their...

FIRST OFFICIAL DAY OF SCHOOL!