Monday, January 4, 2010

First Day of School 2010

This has been the best day of the year so far.  The first day of school!  Vacation is over!  Hooray!  Funny how I sound like I sent my kids off to public school on a school bus.

By the end of December, I was seriously considering it.  By the time I declared Christmas Vacation, my life was falling apart.  F was destroying the house and getting into everything.  And I'm not talking emptying the pots and pans; I'm talking about the possibility that she ate dirty kitty litter!  My house was a mess.  I was behind in everything.  We all forgot how to speak nicely to one another and spent days yelling.  IJ and S constantly fought.  E was a brat.  M and I were either arguing with each other or with Grandad.

I asked myself, "How can I possibly do it all?  How can I possibly do some?  How can I keep up with the needs of every single different personality in my home?  How can I make whole wheat, no fat, low calorie sweet treats (does such a thing exist?) for my father-in-law? How can I help my husband get out the door every morning with a healthy lunch packed?  How can I help IJ meet other kids his age and stop mourning his old home?  How can I meet other moms and stop mourning my old home?  How can I teach the two boys without constantly stopping to take care of the preschooler and toddler?  How can I give E the same opportunities her older brothers got at age four?  How can I keep F from poisoning herself or falling off something high?  Why can't I keep up with the dishes, the laundry, the dusting, the picking up, etc, etc, etc???  And what the heck am I going to do in April when we have another baby?????"

It was enough for me to seriously consider giving up on homeschool.  Even though I know homeschool is superior to public school in every sense.

I spent the time between Christmas and New Year purging and cleaning the things in my home.  M spent his entire vacation fixing things up and helping streamline the house.  And then I spent the time between New Year and last night cleaning and purging my daily routines, my tactics for handling school, and my attitude.

 IJ holding his geoboard creation: Mew from Pokemon


And today I had a good day, with all academia done before lunch.  Just the way I like it.  What did I do differently?  What caused this wonderful shift?  I'll never tell.  At least not until I try again tomorrow, just to make sure this isn't a fluke.  After all, I am a scientist by training.  I can't possibly assume causation based upon a single datum.  There are so many factors at work here.  I need replication.  I might have to run a multivariate test or two to check the significance of my results...