Sunday, June 6, 2010

Baseball Season: Over

And what a way to end it!  IJ had his last game yesterday.  There were two outs and one of the stronger hitters from the other team was up.  IJ was playing second base.  The kid hit an incredible line drive; the ball was fast and about 3 1/2 feet off the ground.  "It was so cool.  My instincts said, 'Put up your arm' right when he was swinging the bat and I did," he says.  And the ball just smacked into his mitt and stayed there.  His teammates jumped up and down.  The parents were cheering and shouting for him!  One dad said, "[IJ] deserves two trophies for that catch!"  And the awesome thing was that (and I can say this because I am his mom and I know) his body was poised like he caught the ball on purpose.  His knees were bent, his arm was strong, and he had a very Zen-like look about him.  But I know he didn't catch it on purpose.  I know it was his Taekwondo reflexes.  He was doing without thinking.  After the game, the coach gave IJ a knuckle bump and said, "You made my day today.  You are definitely the most improved player on the team."  M and I are so proud!