Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Rest of the Story

Today was a bad day to travel with these kids.  We had to leave early to get our two hour trip done by 10:00.  We rushed through breakfast and got out the door.  We skipped stopping for coffee just in case we hit traffic (bad, bad idea- we were never able to stop and get me coffee.  Keep that in mind while you read-use your Paul Harvey voice- The Rest of the Story).  Within an hour, E threw up her breakfast.  I tossed her the ziplock bag I was using to transport my knitting project while she finished (I learned that from experience: always travel with ziplock bags).  Luckily we were a mile from a rest stop and could clean her up.  The whole trip the boys were bouncing off the walls.  They kept the baby awake so he cried.  I was going crazy.  E threw up again when we were almost to the school.  This time I had an old pop cup for her (this is why I keep my van messy-just in case).
 Yellow jacket nest, right next to the cherry tree that my children play in.

At the ceremony it was hot!  By the time we got there, all the good seats were taken.  We had to sit way up at the top.  And climbing up a set of bleachers holding a baby in one arm, holding a two year old's hand with the other, and trying not to drop the diaper bag was a challenge!  As we watched the ceremony, the girls cheeks got pinker and pinker.  E was hungry after losing her breakfast; she kept asking for food.  She was swinging her feet and accidentally tapped the seat in front of her.  The lady turned around and snapped, "Stop kicking us!" which made E cry.  I leaned over to my mom and stage whispered, "It would be too bad if E had to throw up again!"  Baby D nursed nicely for awhile, but then he needed his diaper changed.  And S needed to use the restroom.  Luckily Grandpa was there and could take him.  I had to climb back down the bleacher with the baby and the toddler, while Grandpa climbed down with S.

When we got back, the half-time demonstrations were in full swing and we had gotten separated from Grandpa and S.  I had to sit on the floor with Baby D and F until it was over.  When a high ranking black belt was going to break five thick boards with his palm, the announcer asked for quiet so he could concentrate.  This was when F announced loudly over and over, "I have a noise!  I have a noise!"  I decided there was no way I was going to climb back up into the bleachers but my mom was able to pass the camera down to me.  This was when F decided to break loose and run 3/4 of the way across the gym.  During a quiet part no less.  I followed in hot pursuit, still holding the baby and the diaper bag.  I got to where I could stop her and offered fruit snacks, my ace up my sleeve.  She planted her little behind on the ground and behaved nicely after that.
 Happy to be home again

Until it was time for the kids to receive their black belts.  Since I was standing, I had no problem walking right up to the front to take closer pictures of IJ.  F followed nicely, still eating her fruit snacks.  When they were gone, she decided it would be fun to crawl under my skirt and play.  I'm glad my skirt was nice and long and didn't give anyone an extra show.

The drive home was hot and crazy with the boys still bouncing off the sides of the van.  I really need to reconsider the seating arrangement.  By the time we made it home, after eight hours on the road, I didn't want to be anywhere near my dear children.  But they wouldn't leave us alone.  And they had lost all privileges, including video games.  So we had to do things with them, like play baseball and teach them how to play a board game.  S reminded me about five times that if he was able to play video games, he would be leaving us alone.  I actually had to tell my sons that I didn't want to see them for the rest of the day and they had to go to bed NOW!
Baseball in the driveway

All I have to say now is, thank goodness this day is finally over, the five kids are asleep, and I can go to bed!