Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Completing Him Challenge

M proposed to me July 11th, 2001 at the most northwestern point of Washington State: Cape Flattery.  We were finishing up our week-long road trip and enjoying the view.  M said to me, "Are you sick of me yet?"  I said, "No..." He smiled and asked me to marry him!

 When M called me His Future Wife
We were married November 2, 2001.  It was a Friday.  I took the day off school (as did L and A) and M took the day off work.  We drove up to the Skykomish River where M took me on my first bull trout survey a year earlier.  Some lady from some strange church performed the ceremony.  She was the only one who would drive so far and marry us without making us go through premarital counseling!  L and A were my bridesmaids, my bouquet came from Haggen, and my dress was a simple formal from the Bon Marche.  We dressed in a tent and my parents brought sandwiches and banana cake (ew) from Safeway.
One thing I remember about the ceremony (besides crying so hard-happy crying- I could barely say my vows) was being irritated with the feminist weirdo pastor.  I specifically wanted her to say "You may kiss your bride," but she changed it to, "You may kiss each other."  What kind of crazy liberal talk is that?  I already know we are equal-duh, but I wanted to be his bride!  Grrr! We kept the ceremony short and sweet so we could head off to the San Juan Islands for our honeymoon!
We spent the weekend exploring the island and having fun, but the weekend ended all too quickly.  We did, after all, have a grown up life to return to!
Honeymoon Hike