Friday, June 4, 2010

Box Day and Eye Splinters

IJ's box of books for the next school year came yesterday.  Well, some of the books.  He loves to read, so we are going to use Sonlight curriculum again.  I love to see him digging into his "school" books because he is excited to start reading.  I'm sure he won't act this way when I pull out the boring math books though!

"I've already read three books from the box."

While we were looking at the digital pictures I had just downloaded, I asked M which pictures I should post.  He jokingly pointed to this boring picture:
IJ said, "Oh. A wood louse."  M said, "That's a new term!"  IJ (imagine him yawning with boredom) drawls, "Dad, I read a lot.  And I ask a lot of questions."

IJ reminds me of his older sister, L.  She also read a lot.  They both use(d) big words that people don't normally use in every day conversations.  I distinctly remember L using the words "former" and "latter" instead of "the other one."  I also remember her mispronouncing words she had read, but never heard.  And calling her dad a name she had read, but not known what it meant.  Embarrassing, right?  Only if you knew what it was...and I'm not telling!  IJ does the exact same thing.  He uses words he doesn't know and mispronounces words he has only read.  One word his keeps using because he mixes it up with another word (which is the most embarrassing of all)!

He continues with, "Once [S] asked me what B-O-W spelled, and I had to tell him it spelled bow."  As in hair bow.  I said, "It can also be pronounced bow as in the bow of a ship or take a bow."  
"Oh. Yeah."  
"And remember this picture [IJ]?"
"What is that you are holding?"
"A bahn-kwet." (sound it out folks)
"That is pronounced bow-kay."  What does the Bible say about the splinter in your brother's eye?