Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blue and Gold Prep

Every year, the Cub Scouts celebrate the anniversary of Scouting with a Blue and Gold ceremony.  Tonight is our Pack's Blue and Gold.  Our pack has a potluck and talent show and my boys will be doing a taekwondo demonstration.  Just like last year!

I went back to read about our experience from last year, and I have to say, I felt some pretty strong emotion remembering how hard our move was.  We were so displaced and so lonely that I may need to take a moment to sniffle a bit...

IJ punched through his board and S broke his with a step behind side kick.
Okay, I'm all better now.  I am so thankful that the boys have had their experience with martial arts.  Their focus and concentration, their behavior and manners, and their confidence makes all the work worthwhile.  And I'm thankful for scouts too, although we are always worn out when we get home from scouting functions.  Our pack really helped the boys and I, and now M, to feel like we were part of something.  And now that we have a little homeschool group starting, we really feel like we are part of a community!
IJ breaks two inches of pine with a flying side kick!
Tonight, if all goes well, the boys will be breaking real boards.  Boards that M bought at Home Depot yesterday.  Not those wimpy dry 1/4 inch boards that they use at taekwondo demonstrations at the dojang.  They have been practicing with those one inch board pictured above.  M is going to palm press through five of them!  I'm looking forward to the show...but I might have to cover my eyes!