Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Poultry (and my other turkeys)

Yesterday we added 14 australorp chickens and six bronze turkeys to our farm.
We are going to manage our poultry so that we have two age classes of hens laying during the summer and only one age class eating during the winter...which means we will be butchering last year's babies come September.  Such is the way of farm life, eh?
We are also planning on two sets of turkeys.  These will be dinner in about three or four months.  After we get our turkey house built, we will get another set of poults to brood.

And speaking of turkeys, we live so far from the hospital that when some borderline injury happens, I have to get in my car and drive five minutes down the road before I can call my 24 hour nurse on the cell phone.  Then if the injury is serious and I need to go to the ER, I'm already halfway there.  If not, I can turn around at the coffee stop and come home.
Which, thankfully, I got to do today.  D bonked his forehead pretty hard this morning.  I've seen a lot of "bonkies" in my time, but this one was a bonky that had me a little panicked!  The nurse and I went through a long check list of head injury information and we decided to come home and just observe D.  And he is just fine.
When I walked in the door, IJ said, "Hey, now we match with head injuries!"  What?
How did he get that lump above his eye?  Well, from his other brother.  Who whacked him with a sword.