Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Surprise

Three weeks ago, on M's birthday, I started brooding a nest of eggs. Last night, M and I went out to candle the eggs because I knew their time was coming close...
Surprise!
...and we found a chick!  We found two, actually, but the other didn't make it.  It was flattened by the hen, who now has the name Big Fat Hen.  I like to name my hens after their personalities (I have another broody hen that is very vicious and pecks my hand as hard as she can.  I named her after a mean person I know).

Learning how to eat
 This little guy doesn't have a name yet, but he sure is sweet.  He doesn't have any other chicks to hang out with, so when I stick my hand in the brooder, he comes to snuggle.  I'm hoping the other eggs in this nest hatch soon... Hatching chicks is so much fun, and since we can always eat them, it doesn't seem a waste of time.  But we do have so many birds that I no longer know how many we have.