Sunday, June 26, 2011

First Camp Fire of the Season

D eagerly awaits...something.  What it is, he doesn't know!
Oh man, yesterday was awesome!  The weather was great, I got three load of laundry on the line, I worked outside with my poultry projects (see below) and I got to visit with friends while the boys were at a birthday party.  When we got home, we had our first campfire.
The ceremonial first flame!
We love our campfires.  There is nothing better than feeling like you live in a place where people could go on vacation...in fact, I'm always reminding myself we moved to our vacation spot.  We have wildlife, space, beauty, and peace and quiet...until the kids start talking.
Who wants a burned marshmallow?
As we waited for the perfect S'more making embers, the kids told dumb stories and I read out loud off the Kindle (I downloaded The Three Musketeers while sitting by the fire).  Then we did the best thing ever!
Grandad will eat the burned ones...and all the others too!
We hauled Grandad down to the fire in his wheelchair!!!  M tried to drive him down in the van, but Grandad had a hard time getting in the seat for some reason.  He can do it in the carport, but the backyard is different I guess.  The wheelchair was a bit bumpy, but walking backwards preventing him from pitching forward out of his chair.

After Grandad, M, and D headed back inside, I taught the kids some songs I learned when I was a kid at camp.  We counted stars and made wishes.  We watched bats.  These are my favorite memories.  I couldn't be happier.