Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Starts

We still have a few loose ends to tie up with school, but I am so done!  We are going to move on to our summer daily schedule and do work in the morning and then play for the rest of the day.  I really need a break.
Pond Scum
Today we headed back down to the pond for an evening swim.  S is getting braver about swimming in the cold water.  And IJ is very patient with his coaxing.  He even got S to swing into the pond from the rope swing!
After I got tired of D climbing on me and mosquitoes biting me, I called everyone out of the water so we could go back to the house.  We headed back up the hill and stopped at the garden.  And then the creepiest thing happened....

IJ looked back down to where I had been sitting and saw this:
See how it is looking at us?  Like it is mad that we left because he was that close to swooping down and eating my baby?  It was seriously sitting right above my head, like only 20 feet at the most!  Well, above and to the side a bit.  I was not in the poop zone.

I happened to have the camera ready to go and got some awesome footage of the eagle flying.  I extracted a few frames from the video:
Looking right at me!
And heading off to the chicken coop!
That isn't our only run in with the local wildlife this week.  M came face to face with the bear yesterday as he was getting ready to leave for work.  The bear headed down the pond, but it didn't stay away for long.  It was back in our front yard when the guy came to test our well.  And last week I made M go out to protect my chickens when we heard the coyote in the pasture in the middle of the night.  Coyote calls give me the creeps!