Saturday, October 15, 2011

D at 18 Months

Can you believe Baby D is 18 months old today?  No longer a baby, he is a full blown toddler.  He is starting to say more words, and less "Da."  He says bye, moon (mn), horse (ahs), orange (ahs), banana (nana), milk (mkna), Peek-a-boo (baba!), bellybutton (baba!), dog and yuck.  He knows all his family members, but they all sound like nana when he says their names.  He still looks for Grandad when he goes in his room, which always makes me sad.  He buzzes at bees and crows at roosters and makes monkey noises.  He can point to his head, hair, ear, eye, nose, mouth, bellybutton, foot, bottom, and (ahem) his little boy part.  He signs outside, water, airplane, and boots.  And today he said, "Choo choo!"  The first sounds in this video are his word for milk, the smacky mkna sound.
He throws his dishes on the floor when he is finished eating.  When I pull him out of the high chair and put him on the floor, he picks up his dishes and throws them in the sink.  He puts his banana peels by the sink.  He throws diapers in the garbage (he uses disposables at night).  He jumps off the couch.  He puts the oven mitt on his hand and opens the oven (when it's cold).
Those eyes hypnotize the mama monster
He says, "mama," which is music to my ears.  Unless it's first thing in the morning and I want to sleep.  He likes to wake me up by belly flopping on my face and pinching me.  This morning I said, "Go find Daddy.  Daddy.  Go find Daddy!"  He just wriggles on my face and pulls my hair and says, "Mama! Mama! Mama!"  I say, "Go make me some coffee!" and he cries.  So I have to say, "Do you want an egg?" and he says, "Egg! Egg! Egg!"

He isn't very good at playing on his own.  He prefers to be the center of attention and cries if he sees someone else on my lap.  E tells him, "Don't worry.  You'll learn that there is always enough love for everyone."  He sits on the couch with his brothers while watching Pokemon but keeps his eye on S so he can laugh when S does.  He loves music and has figured out how to turn on the school CD player and listen to Latin songs.
He is right on track for the terrible twos.  We can't keep the books on the shelves anymore. I can't wait!