Tuesday, October 11, 2011

You Want What on Your Pancakes?

One night, a long time ago, way before my youngest two were even born, we had pancakes or french toast for dinner.  Probably french toast, because M makes really good french toast.  Anyway, my much-loved grown-up daughter (who wasn't grown up yet) asked us to "Pass the ketchup, please.  I mean the syrup."
We had a chuckle over her mistake, but sadly, the damage was done.  You see, my toddler-aged son heard her mistake and from that moment on he has gotten the two confused.  And he has passed that confusion down to every single child I have had since.  It usually isn't too bad, unless we have both french toast and hash browns.  This, mixed with F's love for ketchup over syrup, makes a funny meal.  She asks for a bowl of ketchup to eat, we say, "Don't you mean syrup?  And no.  You can't have a whole bowl of syrup."  But really.  She wants a whole bowl of ketchup.  And eats it with a spoon.  YUCK!

The other two words my kids mix up are raw and rotten.  That leads to some funny conversations, especially when we talk about our milk!