Saturday, October 1, 2011

Farm Day

Today was the annual Farm Tour day, where the local farms invite us all to come and check out what they do.  I made it as far as the closest farm to my house.  We stayed for hours.  IJ met the boy who lives there and they were instant buds.  They made all sorts of plans to ride their bikes to each other's houses and spend the night.
IJ and friend, chasing piglets
IJ wasn't the only one to meet a new friend!  F found another three year old girl who happens to live farther south than we do!  That's almost unheard of.  We live just past the Dead End sign.  They live at the Dead End.
F and friend, holding hands
My oldest three were so busy playing with the other farm kids in the straw, that F was my farm buddy.  That is okay with me.  I sometimes wish I could send my oldest kids off to school and just do fun preschool things again.  This felt kind of like that!  I've recently chatted with a friend I met when our oldest were toddlers about how hard it is to 1) meet new friends when everyone else seems to have known each other from the time their kids were little and 2) meet new friends for your toddlers when you have to drag your older kids to everything.
F riding a sheep!  So cute!
F riding a tractor.  Another kid actually started it!
Playing in the hay (the best quality around)
F talking to the Mama Pig
We loved the pigs.  E was so cute.  She heard the farmer telling people they can buy the pigs when they are ready next month.  She got excited and wanted to know how much they cost.  She is a serious farm girl at heart.  I took her over to the farmer and encouraged her to ask him her question.  She looks waaaay up at him with her big green eyes, and asked, "How much do your pigs cost?"  Any dad who has only sons instantly finds himself wrapped around her little finger.  She was a little sad when she found out she was about $74.75 short, plus feed and housing (it could live in my living room I guess).
We got to go in the pen with this mama pig and babies after the farm tour closed and just friends and family were around.  The piglets are so smart!  They know which corner they're supposed to go potty in and they are only three weeks old!  I still have trouble with my three YEAR old!