Saturday, August 18, 2012

Being a Yes Mom

When the big boys are away, the girlies will play.  When Evie asked if we could have a sewing party and invite Grandma, I said yes.  Well, we didn't get any sewing done while Grandma was here, but we had a lovely time chatting and eating cookies!
Daniel survives Girl Time by napping in front of Thomas
After she left, we dug into our projects.  I really wanted to dig into the projects I bought fabric for yesterday, but Evie asked if I could fix Puppy for her-again.  I said yes.  Evie made another bag for my Kindle:
She folds a piece of felt in half and sews a running stitch along the edge- Sewing 101, right? When she asked if she could make another (third one) bag for my Kindle, I said yes.  But this time she learned the whipstitch!
When Fiona asked if I could now fix her stuffed bunny, I said yes.  When she saw Evie sewing, she asked if she could learn how to sew too!  I wasn't sure if I had the nerve to hand Fiona a sewing needle...but I said yes.
The look of concentration on her face is priceless.  I felt like I was witnessing the birth of the modern Dr. Frankenstein.  Only her monster is a pink bunny.  She learned the fish bone stitch.  I've found the fish bone stitch to be the best for fixing stuffed animals.
My project has been dubbed The Smart Baby Burp Cloth.  My mom says I should sell them on Ebay (and Etsy- I could name my store Crooked Seams because that is how well I sew).  Because black and white designs are supposed to stimulate a baby's brain and make them smarter, what better way to multitask?  Burping time is wasted without this educational opportunity!
I've seen black and white geometric borders on nursing bras, so why not burp cloths?  Maybe I should call them Baby Frankenstein Burp Cloths instead (Baby Einstein is taken) in honor of my crooked seams.  And by the way, I'm totally making fun of myself.  I'm not serious about trying to make my baby smarter during burping time.  They get smart enough on their own without my help!