Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Favorite Two Year Old

God's plans are always perfect.  He knew that I would be spoiled if Lula was my first baby and he knew that I'd go crazy if Daniel were my first two year old.  Since Daniel is my 5th two year old, I have that wonderful perspective only years and years of experience can give...*laughing at myself*  My kids enter the terrible two's around 15 months of age and don't leave until...well, some of them haven't left the difficult age yet...I know I haven't!
Daniel's "smile" for the camera
I saw a mom and dad in Costco today with their one child.  She was throwing a fit and refused to walk with her parents in the direction they wanted to go in.  The mom said to the dad, "I guess we are not going back to the wine section."  I laughed and said, "She must be two!"  I could laugh because my two year old was at home, I had been away from him for an hour, and I missed him.  Of course, MY two year old is so well-trained that if I wanted to go to the wine section, he would say, "Yes Mama!" and trot along after me not touching anything!  *snort*  Lucky for me, Daniel happily follows his older siblings because walking and not riding in the cart is still such a novelty.
After dumping sugar on the counter, he falls off the chair eating it
Daniel's latest thing is to defy anything we say with, "No, I'M..."  This is a LOT of fun.  Mark says, "Daniel, you're bugging me!"  Daniel says, "No, I'M buggin' me!"  Ian will say, "Daniel, I'm a rat fink!"  Daniel says, "No, I'M a rat fink!"  I will say, "Ack! Mina's going to kiss me!"  Daniel will say, "No, I'M going to kiss you!"  Oh yes, he is so fun.
Naps are like hitting a giant reset button!
The theme of the summer has been the Fruits of the Spirit.  It just happened to land on my lap during Vacation Bible School at our church.  All of us are working on our love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control.  I'm loving the walk down memory lane listening to The Music Machine.  ("Isn't God good when he asks us just to love like he does?") And what better way to work on those traits than living with Daniel?  And Fiona? And the rest of us?  Patience is the big one! ("Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry! When you get impatient, you only start to worry! Remember, remember, that God is patient too and think of all the times when others have to wait for you!")