Friday, September 7, 2012

Ancient Egyptian Mystery & First Week Complete!

After a week reading Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, Ian is happy to announce we have our very own mystery to solve.  I usually read at night while I wait for Daniel to fall asleep next to me.  Last night, I was previewing Tales of Ancient Egypt for next week's literature assignments.  I clearly remember looking at the clock (10:00 PM, if I go to sleep now, I'll get eight hours of sleep), closing the book, stacking it with my other books, turning off my light (is Mark was ever going to get off his computer?), and snuggling under my blankets ...and the next thing I know Lula is crying in her crib and it is 1:00 AM.  I go to her room, pick her up, and turn around.

Tales of Ancient Egypt is sitting on the footstool of my rocking chair!  It is facing the chair, just like I had been sitting there and it set down before standing up.  I have no memory of moving it and I don't think I was sleep-walking...

And now our first week of school is over.  We've managed to catch up on everything that didn't get delivered on time.  Except science.  But science had habitats scheduled and if a Curious George-watching kid doesn't get what a habitat is, they have serious issues.  Some things I learned this week are:
  • Daniel absolutely MUST have a nap after lunch
  • I should NOT try to take advantage of a student finishing an assignment early to get a head start on the next subject.
  • Reading out loud must wait until Daniel is napping (see 1 and 2)
  • I really need to take that 10:00 break for my own sanity-but I need to avoid the computer at all costs.
  • Putting a movie on at 11:00 will keep Daniel AND Fiona from interrupting. 
  • Potty-training during the first week of school is a BAD IDEA 
  • Afternoon activities during nap time is also a BAD IDEA
  • When 50% of the children are having "issues," everyone needs to take a break
Now I'm off to enjoy some birthday present sewing time...