Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Snuggly

Don't they clean up nice?


Sometimes I look at my kids and say to myself, "Wow, I'm doing a great job with them." Like yesterday. I took Child #3 and the Baby to the Farmer's Market to buy some veggies and soap. While I was buying carrots, Child #3 saw a lady drop a dime. He picked it up and said, "Excuse me, you dropped your dime." She took it back and smiled at my son. I didn't even know that this had happened until he told his dad the story and added to the end, "I didn't want to take it from her even though she didn't know she dropped it, because that is ROBBING and I am NOT a robber!" And then this morning Child #3 made breakfast for himself and his brother and sister. He got the bowls, the cereal, and the milk and poured everything all by himself. I was so proud!

And then there are times when I obviously have a lot more work to do. At church he was chosen by the pastor to talk about who he wants to be with when he is scared and why. He said, "I want to be with my mom and dad because they protect me from the bad guys. And predators." And since the pastor didn't take the microphone away after this splendid answer, he went on to tell the entire congregation that he had to take care of his brother and sister because his mom was too busy taking care of the baby. Sigh...