Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wired? I don't think so!

My DH got hooked on energy drinks while I was pregnant with Baby. Of course with strange sounding ingredients promising to boost energy levels, I decided to abstain until Baby was safely born. I spent months watching DH consume a new brand or a new flavor of energy drink. I watched him perk up immediately and sometimes act a little crazy. Oh, I was jealous!!! I love caffeine! I've been drinking coffee every morning since 8th grade! I love, love, love coffee. So much that I didn't even quit drinking coffee during my last two pregnancies. After Baby was born, I tried the energy drink thing. You Lord of the Rings fans may know the scene where Gimli and Legolas are having a drinking contest. Gimli is slobbering drunk and Legolas might have felt his finger tingle. That was my experience with energy drinks. I drank a Monster. Nothing. I drank many Monsters for many days. Nothing. I tried Wired X344, which is DH's favorite because it has 344mg of caffeine. If he drinks one in the afternoon, he is up very late, unable to sleep. NOTHING HAPPENED TO ME! Heck, I found one in the fridge yesterday, drank it a 3pm and still fell asleep in my chair by 10pm last night. It tastes bad, like it has a lot of metallic tasting caffeine, but that is only citric acid. And I know what that tastes like because of a science experiement I did with the kids. This morning I found a website that lists caffeine content of common drinks. Turns out a Monster has less caffeine than my morning black coffee. A Wired X344 could replace my morning cup of coffee, but would be wearing off by lunchtime. It would also be way too expensive and nasty for my taste. I think I will stick with the simple drink for my simple life: Good Ole Home Brewed Black Coffee.