Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh, What a Crunchy Morning!


When Child #4 was two years old, he surprised me with his first savant talent. He was barely talking, yet he was able to identify every letter of the alphabet right side up as well as upside down. Yesterday we learned he has talent with racing video games. Today he presented me with a new savant ability. He was (once again) writing his alphabet on his Doodlepro, one letter at a time. He narrated, "And here is R." Erase board. Draw S. "Look at my S Mom, doesn't it look nice?" Hey, his S is facing the right way! Erase board. "And now T. The twentieth letter of the alphabet." The 20th letter? Is that right? I count on my fingers. Yes. "Which letter is the thirteenth?" No pause for counting. "M." "And the fifth?" "E." We continued in this fashion until I was convinced that he knew the position of every single letter of the alphabet! He stumbled on twenty-second because it doesn't sound like twenty-two, but he knew the letter! He loved this game so much he kept asking to play it again.

Child #3 woke up feeling even better today. His temp is down to 100.something. He knows he can watch lots of movies when he is sick and he is totally taking advantage of it. To the point where I won't let him watch another movie unless he eats something or takes a nap first. He still has dark circles under his eyes and looks very skinny, but he has turned the corner!

I woke up very early, thanks to my little girls (who were sleeping again by 6:00 am). I spent the morning indulging in crunchy living... washing cloth diapers and hanging them in the sun to dry, washing my hair with baking soda instead of shampoo, and eating eggs over organic homemade black beans and salsa instead of potatos O'Brien. The baking soda thing is my latest green living experiment. You should try it! My hair is soft and stays clean longer than it does with shampoo. Two days after my first baking soda wash, I showed Child #2 how clean my hair still was and she decided to try it out too. All you have to do is mix one tablespoon of baking soda in one cup of water, pour over your head, and rinse! Don't get it in your eyes; it stings! I hear people who use baking soda only have to wash their hair once a week and just use water on the other days. Sounds unbelivable to me, but I'll try it out. I'm not going anywhere anyway, right?