Monday, July 28, 2008

RIP New Dishwasher

They just don't make large appliances like they used to. Remember last summer when my dishwasher broke? Remember how we hand washed dishes for six months before we got a new one? About a month ago our new dishwasher started being loud. And louder. And still yet louder. So I called Sears. They sent a guy out a week and a half later (today). And now we need a new motor. Luckily the dishwasher motor is covered by their one year warranty, and it a damn good thing. After parts and labor, the new motor cost more than the dishwasher! And the repair man won't be back to install the motor until August 6th. It makes me want to start washing by hand again.

Speaking of large appliances from Sears... I got a new freezer for my basement! I've been happily filling it with meals for the last few days after a mega-trip to Costco. And I have a new freezer meal cookbook coming in the mail written specifically for Costco shopping called Fix, Freeze, and Feast. I'm sure I will have no problem filling my new freezer, especially since Friday is the official first day of blueberry season! Hooray!

And speaking of appliances in general... I also got a food dehydrator for a late Mother's Day present. This morning I used it for the first time making my own banana chips. With Child #3 and #5 peeling bananas, Child #4 bringing them to the cutting board, and me chopping them, we filled the trays in just a few minutes. The kids even took the peels out to the compost for me. The bananas are still drying, so hopefully they will turn out yummy. I don't care what they look like. Tomorrow's experiment will be beef jerky, which is already marinating in the fridge (which also came from Sears).