Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Beware of the Mama Bear!

Yesterday morning the first question out of S's mouth was, "Why is spider's legs so tight?" What he meant was, "How do spiders stick to the wall when they climb?" I told him about the tiny hooks on their feet and thought we were done with the subject. Until I discovered this last night: Oh, the boys climbed the walls all evening. Literally.

And today I decided to take the kids to a preschool playtime that I used to go to quite frequently. I quit going because there was a brat that would bully other little kids and destroy their toys. His mother, who was pregnant and due at any moment would barely get out of her chair to deal with his behavior problems. And I didn't blame her-at the time. When I was 9 months pregnant, I could hardly move either. But this boy's behavior problem did not go away. This boy ripped the plastic handles off my boys' bikes, leaving sharp metal edges sticking out. He spit loogies at my best friend's son. He hurt little kids; he would even hurt babies! He is a mean, nasty little kid. And now his toddler aged brother is the same way. And the mother never does anything about her sons' behavior. A Christian friend asked me to show compassion and pray for the mother when I told her why I was leaving playtime. However, I didn't feel like my kids should be the victim of an undisciplined lifestyle and I started staying home. Today I decided to visit playtime again, hoping that this piece of work was in Kindergarten full time or at least in daycare. But he was not, much to my dismay.

Imagine my anger when my little E came up to me saying, "Mama kiss my face! My face got hurt!" "What happened? How did you hurt your face?" "That boy ofer there in da back shirt 'macked me!" Sure enough, there was a white area on her pink cheek that was obviously a smack mark. And the boy in the black shirt was looking defiantly at me from across the gym. I turned to his mother and said, "Your son smacked my little girl on the face." She hollered at her son to come to her (which he ignored) and when she finally got him to come over and answer if he had smacked E, he said that E was lying!!! Two year old girls who have been smacked by bratty five year old boys DO NOT LIE! And neither do smack marks on her face! Well, this evil woman said to me, "Well, I don't know who is telling the truth, so I'm not going to get involved."

She is lucky she decided to leave at that moment.

I thought about not going back again. But that is a lot like letting a bully determine your life. And I will not be bullied by an undisciplined five year old and his mother. I'm going back to play time and me and my kids will be ready for them! So watch out!