Monday, October 20, 2008

My Hero

This guy is My Hero!I should not have said anything about being bored. I jinxed myself! Late Saturday night, I noticed a puddle of water at the base of my dishwasher. Now, we are unfortunate enough to have bought a house with carpet in the kitchen, so the source of the water on the floor was unclear. I thought maybe I left a glass of seltzer water on the counter and it had been spilled by S or My Pathetic Doberman. I mopped up the water and continued to make dinner for S (yes, it was late and past S's bedtime, but we were having a fun weekend). When I turned around, there was more water on the floor! Huh??? Where was this water coming from???

I won't bore you with a minute by minute recounting of this adventure that involved me making panicked phone calls and running next door with a barefoot child in tow. Summing it all up... the water supply pipe to the dishwasher was broken and spraying water and water was leaking through the kitchen floor and running down the wall downstairs onto the fish tanks! Dangerously close to the outlets and our priceless artwork from Vietnam! Luckily my neighbor was able to help me turn the water off, so he was a bit of a hero too. But My real Hero is the guy that pulled the kids out of bed, put them in the car, and got ready to drive home from Twin Firs to help me. After my neighbor turned the water off for me I call M back and told him to stay put and come home in the morning.

Sunday morning, as I waited for M to get home, I called around and found out it would cost about $200 to fix the pipe (and we won't have $200 until next week's payday). I was thinking I was going to have to get a fixed pipe for my lucky number seventh wedding anniversary next week. But My Hero took one look at the leak, went to the hardware store, and had it fixed within an hour!

And did I mention my refrigerator is also not working properly? But I can fix that myself! The appliance repair guy showed me how to dismantle my freezer a few years ago and use a hair dryer to unclog my air vents so I wouldn't have to pay $100 every time I left the freezer door open. I've saved us at least $300 so far :)

But back to My Hero... he also gave our computer a brain transplant and increased the hard drive space and is currently transplanting the old brain into my ancient computer.

What a guy!