Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Jule Kaga

Jule Kaga is a traditional Scandinavian bread my family eats at Christmas time. My Nana makes the best Jule Kaga, with my Mom coming in at a close second. As I posted earlier, F chewed my recipe up, so I had to go begging to get my recipe replaced; Thanks Mom, Nana, and sister E! The other tradition, which I refuse to participate in, is the eating of Gjetost on the Jule Kaga. Blech! Of all the cheeses I have met, this is one I do not like!

Can you believe there is no listing for Jule Kaga on Wikipedia??? But there is a listing for Gjetost! The nerve!!!

Today, in my never-ending quest to keep the different personalities in my home from colliding and causing chaos, I made the traditional Jule Kaga with E. At the last second I decided to make the bread as close to hand-made as possible. Instead of using the microwave and the Kitchen Aid, I used the stovetop and... ...this hand powered kneading bucket with a dough hook that my Mom handed down to me. E and I kneaded enough dough to make four loaves of bread for 20 minutes. That is one good way of getting and staying warm when it is snowing outside...

... and we are up to about a foot of snow now!