Thursday, March 11, 2010

Building the Coop: Day 2

The coop is coming up faster than I thought it would!  M took yesterday, a relatively clear day, to work on framing the walls.  I've taken three trips to the hardware store since Sunday to pick up material for my special guy.  I may be eight months pregnant, but I can still load a bunch of lumber into the back of my van, all by myself!
The First Wall
M had to depend on his pregnant wife and elderly father to hold the wall in place while he braced it.  He said that the two of us was worth about part of one Big S (L's boyfriend who has the same name as my S).
Cutting Windows in Wall 2
E holding the chalk line
E learned about helping hands at Pioneer Club last night.  When her teacher asked her what she does with her hands to help her family she didn't even think about holding the tape measure or chalk line, hauling tools for her dad, picking up wood scraps, unloading the dryer and hauling baskets of laundry for her mom, and all sorts of little errands she runs for us all day...she only thought about helping the cats by petting them.
The Second Wall!
F Stacking Scraps
Now that we are accumulating scraps of wood, the kids have something to do at the work site.  F makes little stacks of wood (why did I buy those Melissa and Doug blocks?), S works on his hammering skills,...
Making a Hammer. With a Hammer.
(It doesn't make sense to us either)
The New Playhouse
...and IJ is excited to use the scraps to build his very own playhouse.  M told IJ that after learning to "read, fight, calculate, and swim, learning to build is the most important thing a man can do."  I added that a man also needs to learn how to love.  M says, "we are born knowing that!"
All Walls are Up!
And just in time for pouring rain... It seems a shame to have a bigger room for the chickens than what the kids have in their bedroom (in terms of square footage), but there are only four kids and thirty chickens!