Sunday, March 14, 2010

Haste Makes Waste

I blame Daylights Savings.  When M woke up this morning, he felt an hour behind.  So he rushed through his coffee and out the door to get to the hardware store before he wasted any more time.

A stitch in Time saves Nine!

He took his dad with him so he could do some grocery shopping at the same time.  Last weekend it worked out really well to have M drop Grandad off and then find him in the cheese aisle when the lumber was loaded.

This week didn't work out as well.

This week M forgot to check to see if he brought his debit card...it was in my pocket here at the house. After a phone call home, I reminded him his check book was in the van, with only two checks left.

But that wasn't the worst part about rushing.

He also forgot to measure the hole where the door is going to go, which meant another phone call home.

But that wasn't the worst part either.

The worst part came when he locked the keys in the van.  After he had purchased two carts worth of lumber and supplies.

If this were a normal day and not a day from Hell, Grandad would have driven in with the spare keys and we would all have a good laugh at M's expense.  But since Grandad was already in town and stranded at the grocery store, it was up to me to pack the four kids into Grandad's car and bring the spare keys in.  But there was a problem.  I can't drive a stick shift!  M refused to call for help from any other source, refused to break a window, and was having a caffeine induced meltdown in the parking lot of the hardware store.

So it was up to me to find all the car seats (good thing they were here), load them into Grandad's car, and psyche myself up to a 45 minute drive that included driving without a license (it was in the van), having a child under the age of 12 in the front seat, highways, four-way stops, and roundabouts.  ROUNDABOUTS???  There was no freakin' way I was going to drive a stick shift through the roundabouts.  No way at all.  And this is when I had a meltdown.

My meltdown consisted of calling a tow truck and having them jimmy the door open.  It took 15 minutes and cost $59.00 (which they had to accept in check form even though they didn't want to).  And then I locked myself in my room and read Little Women for the rest of the morning.