Sunday, March 14, 2010

Building the Coop: Day 4

I was wondering when the obsessive part of my husband would come out...

The Last Nail...or so he said
He has passed the "this is just a chicken coop," into the "I might as well make it right the first time," stage.  I'm surprised it took this long.  Four days?  That might be a record.  This chicken coop is going to be a building that humans could live in.  He is putting in a real exterior door (I thought we were going to attach some plywood on hinges and hook it closed) and papering the walls before he puts up the siding (huh?), and reinforcing the roof where the plywood seams are (because he won't be able to do it once the roofing paper is down).  I won't be surprised if he wires it for electricity and plumbs for water.  I don't understand why he does a lot of things he does and I don't think I ever will.  But I do know that I should just trust his judgment and go with the flow.  At least we have the cash to pay for the thing.

It all reminds me of knitting a sweater.  Knitting the body and arms are fast and easy, but then when it comes to the details: buttons, seams, collars, things get tricky and slow me down.  And then I toss it into a basket and forget all about it.  But that's me.  I don't get obsessive.  M would sit there and finish that sweater or die trying!

Those chickens better lay some tasty eggs!