Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cockadoodle-Stew!

I have to credit my friend, K, for today's title.  She got her first set of chickens a year before I did and made a joke about her roosters crowing that song.

I've learned a thing or two about my husband in the last nine years.  Which is obviously a dumb thing to say, but I want to say it anyway.  And he has also learned a thing or two about me.  Today's subject is: getting the other one to do something unpleasant, but necessary.

I've learned that to get M to do something, it has to be a critical situation that absolutely cannot be put off another second (like the time I brought home the chicks and there was no coop built).  And I don't blame him.  He is a very busy man who has to prioritize his tasks.  Chopping fire wood, home improvement projects, oh, and don't forget his regular full time job!  Add Cub Scout Leader and Taekwondo Instructor to that and you have a man who has to spend his vacation days and weekends working.

He's learned that if he says he doesn't think I can do something, I can't wait to prove him wrong and do it!  (I've always been like that, just ask my parents).  Like when he used to say, "You can't possibly take all three kids to Costco."  Oh yeah?  Watch me!  Which is funny, because now I take five!

Chief and Mate (now Chef and Meat) were our two old roosters.  They served no purpose except for entertainment.  They didn't guard the hens and they didn't mate (and for the record, Mate wasn't named for the verb, but for the noun).  All they did was stand around, act stupid, eat, and make messes.  I even found them curled up in the nesting boxes.  So yesterday I brought home two new roosters that were being given away for free.  As a sucker for a good deal, I had to have them.  But we were faced with the dilemma of having five roosters.

Farm Fresh Food
This morning (the first day of M's Christmas vacation) we got up at 6:00 AM, had a cup of coffee, and got right to work.  M didn't think I could get up early and he and his dad thought I would "chicken" out of the processing part.  But we did it!  By the light of the moon, M and I worked together, side by side, and killed, plucked, and butchered our roosters.  It was so romantic.  And I gutted both roosters all by myself while M was inside taking care of the baby.

So now Chief and Mate are stewing away on the stove and we are going to have Rooster Pot Pie for dinner tonight!