Friday, December 17, 2010

Visiting Santa

My kids have been really worried about visiting Santa.  All this time, they have thought that Santa only goes to our old hometown!  We did, after all, go see him there last year.  And since my plans to go up there this month for a visit were foiled, I was stuck finding a new place for my annual picture.  I knew that I had to do something right away when IJ told me he had decided to knock out a tooth...a tooth that is not loose...so the Tooth Fairy could take a letter to Santa Claus for him.

My choices were a fancy-pants gift shop in the local snob town and taking my own picture on Saturday, driving an hour to the gangster mall and having the kids searched before they saw Santa, or driving an hour and 15 minutes to the other mall.  I chose Option 3.  We drove a long way to stand in line for about three minutes.  And there was no one in line behind us so my four talking children could prattle on as long as they wanted.  But not long enough for any child to start reminiscing and getting Santa in trouble ("Remember the year you thought we were going to be at Twin Firs but it snowed?  And you left my favorite present there?")   School days are great days to go see Santa.