Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bubbles and Blows


In one of my random walks through the blogger-sphere, I came across a blog that told a tragic story.  A two year old boy had been jumping on the bed as his mom was trying to nurse the new baby to sleep.  She got frustrated and sent him out of the room.  I know exactly how she felt at that moment.  After he left, the two year old went downstairs to the basement and decided to climb a dresser.  The dresser tipped and he fell backward, hitting the back of his head on the concrete floor.  His skull was broken and he died in the hospital.  The mom wrote how much she wished that she could go back in time and just let him jump on the bed to his heart's content.  I cried my eyes out reading her story and the fear of one of my children hitting their heads on concrete stayed with me...  
 We have one small patch of patio left from the job flattening the backyard.  The picnic table fits perfectly on this patch, but I hate it because I'm scared one of my kids will fall and hit their heads.  I want it on the grass, but then it gets in the way of mowing-and we mow more than we picnic.  Today I have the kids outside blowing bubbles.  We are a little stir crazy being home for so long.  Bubbles were a nice distraction, especially for my two year old.  Until D slipped off the bench of the picnic table and smacked the back of his head on the concrete below.  Talk about my worst fear (one of them).
I scooped my baby up and tried not to panic.  He was crying, "I HATE owies! I HATE owies!"  At least he was coherent.  I tried not to panic as I started barking orders to my other children to bring me this, that, and the other.  Long story short, D is doing fine and his "owie" isn't big enough to warrant a trip into the emergency room for stitches.  He was mostly mad that F and S were blowing bubbles without him as I tried to mop up blood and clean dirt out of his wound.
Praise the Lord for guardian angels that work overtime!

And now all three of my boys have scalp scars, just like their dad.  
IJ's Jumping-off-the-couch staples
S's leap-off-the-front-stairs wound



















None of the girls have scalp scars, just like their mom.