Tuesday, July 17, 2012

One Week

Baby LJ is one week old today!  Time is just flying by.  I'm having my usual latch-on issues with nursing her.  I thought I might, so this time I was prepared and we won't have any nasty surprises when we go to the pediatrician next week.  I have to pump and bottle feed until she grows just a little bit more.
How has the rest of the family adjusted to her?  The older kids really haven't shown that a new baby has affected them negatively.  And why would it?  Babies multiply the love, not subtract from it.  They like to hold her, but then they are off playing Bionicles and Piano Wizard (stay tuned for a review on this!).  F is already trying to play peek-a-boo.  She thinks that she and Baby LJ are the cutest in the family.
 The two-year-old on the other hand...he's been very TWO.  His favorite word is NO.  He'll say it even when he means yes.  Every day he manages to sneak into the chicken coop on throw the eggs out the door.  Of course the eggs break.  So we've collected about four eggs this week. 
D doesn't want F to play with HIS baby.
And...the other day we sent D to throw his diaper in the garbage.  He came running out of the hallway crying-really crying!- about a monster!  He's never shown this kind of fear before, so M chased the monster out of the hallway.  The next day, D saw the monster again.  I had him hold my hand and show me the monster.
Um, yeah, that would scare me too.  A big scary grim reaper coming out of the baby's crib?  It's actually the birth pool, all wrapped up in a black garbage bag.  When I first saw it (the house was dark), it gave me the chills too!
Baby LJ had her first trip down to the pond yesterday along with her first visit from her grandparents.  She wasn't the only one who had a first pond trip.  The Pirate went on his first paddle board trip!  Yo, ho, ho!
This bad dog somehow got a vein in her ear ripped.  She came in while my friend was visiting and dripped blood from the front door, all the way to the downstairs living room.  My wonderful friend cleaned up all the blood splatter (it looked like a CSI crime scene). 
Because the rip was on a vein, M couldn't get the blood to stop until bedtime!  He had to use a paper clip over a big bandage to keep the vein closed enough for our second skin to dry.  Anytime she shook her head the bandage flew off and blood spattered all over the place.  And then M would have to go through the process of applying pressure, adding second skin and baby powder (to dry up the blood), and bandaging again.  We took turns sitting with our feet on her back (in a comforting manner-we weren't holding her down) so she would stay in one place and not try to follow us around the house in her usual manner.  Okay, enough about dogs.  We want baby pictures!
Sleeping in my cradle that my dad built when I was a baby.
And finally awake!  She sleeps so much.  I know that by the time school starts again I will wish she still slept this much!  But for now I'm enjoying doing things I couldn't do while nine months pregnant.  Like look under the couch for the remote control.  And getting clothes out of the dryer.  And looking for lost things in low cupboards.