Sunday, June 7, 2009

Boys Will Be Boys

Yesterday my kids had the best day of their lives. They got to spend the day at Rainbow Ranch with IJ's best friend (one of them) and his seven siblings. M and I came to pick them up around dinner time and ended up staying ourselves for a few hours! I can't believe it took us five years to get together for dinner! I love Rainbow Ranch. I want to live there too!

After dinner, IJ took one of the boys down to the field for some Taekwondo lessons. The boys (eight of them) ended up in a fighting match. IJ sparred three boys in a row, kicking and getting kicked, punching and getting punched, until my friend and I had to leave. Our husbands were watching the match, everything was under control, but us moms could not take another second of it. I could not believe how hard these kids were hitting each other and LOVING IT.

On the way home, I tried to understand why boys like this kind of activity and why their dads think it great. M said I would never understand.

I asked IJ this morning how he felt about the fighting yesterday. A grin sprang to his face and he said, "I loved it!" Even when he got punched in the eye.

And this is the same boy who did this: