Sunday, June 28, 2009

Grass Fire & Enjoying the Pond

One of IJ's first memories is when we had a grass fire in the summer of 2005. We were burning and the fire escaped the fire ring. I was changing S's diaper when IJ said, "I smell fi-yah!" in a funny voice. I looked up, saw the smoke, leaped over a baby gate (pregnant with E) and put the fire out with a garden hose. Small fire, no big deal. Same thing happened yesterday.

This time M said, "A, go get a bucket!" while he ran to the back of the house for the hose that didn't have holes. I said, "S, go get a bucket!" because I was busy soaking an old towel to beat out the flames (Ma Ingalls style) with the water coming out of the holes in the hose. S ran and got a bucket and filled it at the hole in the hose while I was putting out the flames. He ran his little bucket down to me and I poured the few inches of water on the little fire. The fire was out in just a few seconds; really, there wasn't anything to worry about. But S was so proud of himself for helping. M decided since the hose was already turned on, he would water his pear trees. S helped him, and every few seconds he would mutter wonderingly to himself, "I'm a hero!"
I've been working too hard. So I decided that I would work on unpacking and organizing for the first half of the day and play with my kids the second half of the day. Yesterday M and I took them down to the pond for some swim time. It is really neat having our very own pond! I wanted to capture some cool animal tracks with the camera, but all I found was this bull frog:We discussed swim lessons again. But I don't really want to drive for an hour (one way)to get to a real pool twice a week. So this is how the kids are going to learn how to swim:And we can't have a day at the pond without tormenting My Pathetic Doberman! M has never had a doberman that would fetch. Or willingly go into the water. But this one will go into the water to retrieve her toys. So we throw the toy farther and farther out, to see how deep she will go: