Monday, June 8, 2009

Why Everyone Needs to Know Math

The other night, M was groaning about all the work he still had left before we could have a proper home inspection. How could he possibly finish the porch and install the new sink faucet at the same time? I said, "I can install the sink faucet for you." M scoffed at the idea of me doing anything hardware-y, even though I spent a few years working customer service at a hardware store. I considered his scoffing a challenge and decided that I would indeed prove that I can install a sink faucet just as well as he could (and probably without bad words and extra trips to the hardware store).

I started by reading the instructions (this right here is where we differ in our methods). Step 1: Remove old fixture. Fair enough. But how? Well, there was no way I was going to ask how. I had to do this on my own. But then the light went on... all I had to do to remove the old faucet was read the installation instructions backwards! Oh, ho! I am a smarty! So I started with Step 6: Attach water supply hoses. Which meant un-attaching the water supply hoses. And turning off the water. Which I wasn't strong enough to do. Which was the first time I had to call M in from his deck building to help.

Step 5: Attach faucet to sink using bolts. Which mean un-fastening the old faucet from the sink by removing the old bolts. Which were rusty. So I went looking for wrenches. I looked in four different tool boxes and finally found them in a plastic shopping bag outside on the deck. I rummaged through the bag and found a wrench that seemed to fit well enough (size 12 mm). The second bolt was too rusty to fit the 12mm wrench. I found a 10 mm wrench, but that was too small. I needed a wrench that was 11 mm. Easy enough; I understand millimeters. I had to call M again. He decided that we needed to use the circular end of the wrench to get the rusty nut off the bolt and started fitting: 1/2 inch wrench was too small and 5/8 inch wrench was too big. What size is between 1/2 and 5/8? [This is when we have to remember how to convert fractions to common denominators] If our wrenches were in properly marked spots, we wouldn't have to do math. But to the organizationally challenged individual, math is a valuable tool. The answer was looking for the 7/16 inch wrench.

After a long, drawn-out, awful search of the whole house and a threatened trip to the hardware store, I found the 7/16 wrench on the desk, right in front of the computer monitor in plain sight. Sigh...M goes back to the deck, I get back under the sink (photo courtesy of IJ). M comes back in because he ran out of screws [this is when one would count how many screws they need per board and multiply that number by the number of boards]. And he has to go back to the hardware store. While he is gone, I finish installing the new sink. All I have left is re-attaching the water supply hoses. I attach the hot water with no problem, but the cold water hose is now too short! And M didn't bring a cell phone with him, so I couldn't call him and have him bring a supply hose home for me. So as soon as he walks in the door I say with a big grin on my face, "Well, now its my turn to go to the hardware store!"

My project ended quickly after that, with no drips or leaks. I'm very proud of myself. The deck project is still going strong, now on its seventh day. M is back at the hardware store as I write, picking up more 2x2's (I added extra screws and drill bits to his list). Yesterday we had to figure what would be more efficient: buying 10 or 12 foot lengths of board for the stair steps (which were cut too short the first time around). Today we had to figure how many more 2x2s we would need to finish the stair railing. Lots of math. Lots of measuring. Lots of multiplying, dividing, adding, subtracting, fractions, and geometry. Lots of algebra. Lots of patience and gas money. But check out this deck:
M is the best!