Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Work" by Anonymous

Time for a "Tweak Week" as the kids and I recover from colds, lots of work, and a crazy activity schedule:
Work while you work,
Today we spent some time exploring what studies are showing about chess and better focus in kids.  S has a new love (in addition to Pokemon cards).  A love that wakes him early in the morning, eager to set up the game board.  A love that may go deeper than Sponge Bob Sorry!  Here he reads about castling:
Play while you play;
It won't be long before he can beat me at chess!  Good thing his older sisters, dad, and Grandad are very very good at chess.  I came in very last place in my 5th grade chess tournament.
This is the way
When the sun came out this afternoon, I knew it was time to do school outside.  We really needed some Vitamin D to boost our immune systems and our spirits.
To be happy each day
After setting out blankets on the new green grass (The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank-Erma Bombeck), the cats joined the apple-eating kids.  The chickens joined us after hearing about the apples!
All that you do,
After hands were washed and chickens dispatched by the Pathetic Doberman, we got down to the school business.  Fractions were on the schedule.
Do with your might;
This cool game is Fractions War.  It comes with the RightStart Math games kit.  I'm seriously considering switching over to this curriculum because they incorporate more game playing instead of math sheets as drill.  I introduced the game as a Pokemon battle, only with fractions!  You should have heard the shouting!  ("One-half, I choose YOU!")  The game comes with little fraction pieces that you can build to show 3/4 or 7/8 (or whatever the fraction card shows) if you don't know which is bigger.

Things done by halves
And after the boys headed up to Taekwondo, I read the story of Noah to the girls (Bible, Literature, Animals, Math, Science, and History-all in one story!).  After, we built Fruit Loop necklaces using a rainbow pattern (Sequencing, Colors, and Counting).  If I could teach any level forever, it would be the Pre-Kindergarten age.
Are never done right
 The poem written as the photo captions is one that is memorized by kids who are using First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind  for grammar.  I find myself quoting the poem when we experience attitude problems with work vs. play.