Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pennsylvania Part 3: Sight-seeing

This movie, that I made of myself, sums up my copilot job and my new-found smart phone ability.

The first morning we were in PA, my sister was scanning the map of the area on her phone to find the best way to Hershey, PA.  She was listing off close towns and said, "...and here's Gettysburg...and here's..."   WHAT??? We are close to GETTYSBURG? Why doesn't anyone TELL me that we are close to one of the most famous historical sites in our country??? Hershey was cancelled and Gettysburg was ON!
History Lover
The second morning, we headed to the closest town, Lititz.  First we headed out to a museum that featured items from Pennsylvania German culture.  It was just like going to Fort Nisqually, only there were no beaver pelts!  Then, we visited the site of the first pretzel "factory" in America and a chocolate "museum" that polluted the town with the luscious smell of chooooocolaaaaate.  Mmmmmm!  They were fun trips, but nothing too exciting happened.
Pretending to wipe his boots.  I want a boot-wiper that that one!
My Nana lives in Lancaster County, so there are lots of Amish and Mennonite people living around.  It was fun seeing a horse-n-buggy tearing down the road, but the buggy was all tricked out with flashing lights and windows.  I decided that Lancaster was just like Lynden (neighboring city of our old home town), only East.  I really wanted to snap all sorts of pictures of the Amish people, but I felt like a touron (a tourist moron).  And I think the real Amish are hiding far, far away from Lancaster now that Amish Mafia is on TV.  I took a picture of laundry hanging over a cow pit and then felt guilty about taking such a personal picture.  But I take pictures of my own laundry hanging in my backyard and blog about it, so what's the difference?  Oh, yeah.  I give myself permission to post my laundry and I didn't ask theirs.
Boot scrapers-again-but at Independence Hall!
The last bit of sight-seeing we did was in a last-minute rush before we returned home.  We had just enough time to experience Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and Benjamin Franklin's grave before we rushed down I-95 to return the rental car and catch our flight.  I can tell I'm getting old because I got all emotional while in Independence Hall.
Tour Guide Extraordinaire in the Supreme Court Room
Our tour guide was the best tour guide I've seen in a long time.  As a homeschooler, I see leaders try to keep things upbeat and moving, always trying to keep your attention and be louder than the group.  This guy was pretty nonchalant, kept his hands in his pockets, and spoke so quietly no one (except the occasional child under five) dared to whisper to their friends.  Maybe it's an East Coast thing, but he acted like if you wanted to hear what he had to say, you better listen up because he wasn't going to repeat himself.
Liberty Bell
So we had a great time.  I wish we could go back someday and see everything we missed.  I started to dream about taking a year and a couple of tax returns to cross the country with the kids and experience the country first-hand...